Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

From your experience would an ignition interlock camera

record periods in between BAC...
From your experience would an ignition interlock camera record periods in between BAC tests and be something I could gather with a release from the ignition interlock owner?
1/15/2018
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

It is possible that the interlock camera might have kept recording, but in most cases no the interlock camera will stop recording in between tests.

Usually this is not information you can access yourself from the interlock company.

However if this is in conjunctin with a criminal case, and the prosecutor subpoenas the interlock recording for a trial or probation violation hearing, then yes in that case you would be supplied copies of the recording, since it would be part of the evidence against you in your case.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the interlock company have the data? Do they need to be subpoenaed or the state?

Yes, the interlock company does have the data. They would be subpoenaed.

You would need the help of an attorney to obtain a subpoena.

If you have a defense attorney representing you on your underlying case, they could assist you with this.

In practice, a prosecutor usually subpoenas the interlock readings and recordings (some interlock devices do not have cameras), and then delivers copies of them to the defense attorney.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer