Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have been shamed for asking lawyers this question in the…

Customer Question
I have been shamed...

I have been shamed for asking lawyers this question in the past....but here I go.... I was sexually abused by my Dad from 8 - 18 yrs old. He has died. It would be a NJ case and I believe they have no statue of limitations? I have plenty of proof, can I still seek compensation. My Mom knew about it and never helped me. She is worth millions. I just was hoping for some type of compensation since now she will probably write me out of the the WILL.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I tried but they all have said shaming things like they do do Dad on Kid stuff. It hurts to try to get help when lawyers say inappropriate things like that.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/13/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

How old are you now? That's important for statute of limitations purposes...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah, I need my answer sent to me by e-mail. I do not have a smart phone

I understand. Please respond to my question above regarding statute of limitations and how old you are.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
52

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but suing someone for something like this nearly 40 years later would not be an easy thing to do - which is likely why attorneys won't take your case. And now that the alleged perpetrator is deceased going after people who might have known and who will likely deny it is unlikely to be fruitful. The statute of limitations is a hurdle I don't know how you would jump over.

Ely, Counselor at Law