Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just received a letter in the mail from the Las Vegas

police department, accident investigations section...
I just received a letter in the mail from the Las Vegas police department, accident investigations section, hit and run detail. It says that vehicle, my plate number, dodge, (I have a ram) has been turned into the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, Traffic Bureau, Accident InvestigationsSection, Hit and Run Detail as a suspect vehicle involved in a hit and run accident at, location, on date. It says please contact the Police department regarding this matter. Failure to respond to this letter may result in a Warrant of arrest, impound and or continued impound of your vehicle by the police department. It says to contact the detective and gives the phone number. Should I ignore this or what should I do?
1/12/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Is there damage on your car? Do you know anything about the accident they are writing about?
No damage on my truck at all. The only thing I can think of is this man who didn’t move when the light turned green, I started to go but slammed on my breaks when I saw he wasn’t going. Came close but didn’t hit. He looked like he was passed out, he pulled over in a parking lot and I followed and asked him if he needed help. He wasn’t responding at first and then kinda snapped at me so I left. But his car looked fine too. I was sure I didn’t make contact and I thought he was drunk after asking if he needed help and him snapping.
Since the car has no damage and you were not involved in an accident, you can return the call and let them know you do not know what they could be referring to.
I feel like responding could make things worse. If I ignore it could I get in trouble? It doesn’t even say they know who the driving is, it just says my vehicle.
You can wait for them to follow up. Eventually they will, though, if they believe you were involved in the accident. I feel like if they look at the vehicle and see there is no damage and no evidence of recent repair they will move on.
Should I just call and tell them I’m not sure what they’re talking about and my truck doesn’t have any new damage in it. And that I’m going to consult a lawyer beyond that because it is a criminal offense? It has a pretty big dent in the bumper from when I bought it though 2 years ago.
call them tell them your lawyer will contact them.
Thank you.
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!
Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer