Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

O. I am a witness in a case going to trial and i have not…

I am a witness...

I am a witness in a case going to trial and i have not bewn sapenad i got a ticket to leave im staying with a sick aunt for 2 months what is my options can i ne in trouble? Im in las vegas. Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just if i can be in trouble or can they force me to come back before the trial

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2018
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Las vegas nevada is where i am

They can subpoena you up until the time you leave the state and you wold be obligated to either appear or to hire a lawyer to file a Motion to Quash the Subpoena. The state's subpoena powers don't stretch beyond the state line and they can't compel you to appear unless they have served you with a subpoena. You can get into trouble for "dodging a subpoena" but that is rarely seen and really only applies if you are leaving town for the specific purpose of not being served.

Without serving you a subpoena (or you agreeing to appear and waiving the subpoena) they can neither force you to come back for the trial nor can you get into trouble.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was only sapenad for the pelium hearing witch they waived the right so it's going to jury trial i still cant get in trouble i was at court for thst
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That was a question not statement
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can i ask another question

It depends on whether the judge held that the people subpoenaed for the preliminary hearing were still under subpoena for the entire duration of the case. If you're not sure about that then you need to get a local lawyer to look at the court record.

Yes, you can ask another question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What proof would i need to not get in trouble for leaving

If you have been subpoenaed then there is no proof you can offer. Your only alternative is to file a Motion to Quash the Subpoena. Usually if someone is subpoenaed for pretrial the judge extends the subpoena through the trial.

Other than that, just a copy of when you booked your tickets or just a description of what you did. I've never seen anyone get into trouble for leaving without a subpoena but I have read cases about it.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. While the answers I give can't always be "good news", since the law can't always be favorable to everyone, I do strive to be as accurate as possible and to answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

You may receive a survey of some kind in the next day or so regarding your experience here at JustAnswer. Please be advised that I am responsible for the content of my answers but not with the issues of website performance or anything other than the answer. I hope that you will consider issuing a Positive Rating regarding my service to you so that I can continue helping others.

If I can ever provide assistance to you in the future please feel free to ask for me by starting your new question with "FOR DWAYNE B ONLY" and I will pick up as soon as I see the question.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer