Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I terminated an employee for theft. Now, she is claiming…

I terminated an employee...

I terminated an employee for theft. Now, she is claiming that I allowed her coworkers to call her the "N" word. Also claiming that I did so without any consequence to the coworkers. She wanted to "Let me know" she says her lawyer said she has a case. This is beyond a false accusation. Should I be worried? How can I protect myself, my employees and my business? Can I file some sort of charge or request an order to make her back off and leave us all alone? We've done nothing wrong.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Montana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Nope. This was my first step.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don't think so.

1/9/2018
INFOLAWYER, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You can have a lawyer send her a warning letter that pursuing false claims is illegal and could subject her to sanction, and liability for malicious prosecution. She cannot prevail without evidence of such conduct. Given her termination for theft, her credibility is highly suspect. Had she been so called, why didnt she report it? there is no record that ever happened. You may want to gather evidence of the reasons behind her termination to have that fully ready. If you have insurance in place, you can alert insurer as you may have coverage in defending the claim and covering legal fees too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I appreciate your prompt response.

very welcome. Please click on the 5 stars option on your page.

INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
INFOLAWYER, Lawyer