Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am a victim of a crime. He was convicted but no money was…

Customer Question
I am a victim...

I am a victim of a sexual crime . He was convicted but no money was brought up. All bills , pain and suffering, lost wages. ect.. What are my rights and how much do you put a price on this.?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Mass.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes he went to jail but out already 5yrs with anklet with 5 yrs probation and a sex offender.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I guess not. besides advice and amount they charge. Thank you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/9/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You had a right to bring a lawsuit for battery, which covers medical bills, lost wages, any incidental expenses, and punitive damages. The starting point is to add up economic losses, and then add an amount that you think would be fair. Many people would ask for 3-5 times the medical bills, but the judge can award an amount based on the facts of the case.

Unfortunately, if this happened five years ago, it is too late to file a lawsuit now. The statute of limitations for this type of thing is only three years from the date of the incident. Mass. G. L. c. 260, Section 4. Because a person in jail can be sued, the statute is not extended for offenders in prison. I'm afraid it's too late to sue him now.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.

This happened last year.

I'm sorry. Your question made it sound like it had been 5 years.

There was an issue with the payment for your call. Customer service should be contacting you, or we can keep talking here.

Do you have any other questions about this? You can still file a lawsuit since this only happened last year.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer