Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How can a judge bring up something u did 30 years ago to…

Customer Question
How can a judge...

How can a judge bring up something u did 30 years ago to sentence you and the probation departen dont

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michaigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have a court app

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not yet

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/8/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. So, generally, the judge can consider your criminal history when determining sentencing. Judges are given wide discretion to determine whether you are going to be a harm to the public, including the nature of the crime, the harm that occurred, and whether you have a criminal history at all. If you had no criminal history, you'd be able to use that in your favor and the judge would be able to consider that. I'm very sorry.

what other questions did you have for me today regarding this?

u r saying 30 years ago he has the right to bring that up i have not have any problem with anyone or any law thing but they can go all the way back how is that fair

Unfortunately, the judge has the right. Unless the crime 30 years ago was heinous, I would argue that bringing it up does not make a lot of practical sense legally, but it's something that they can consider. How else can I help you today?