Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My daughter has been held in Baldwin County Correctional…

Customer Question
My daughter has been...

My daughter has been held in Baldwin County Correctional Facility since Dec1, 2016. She had a sentencing hearing November 15th and was sentenced to 60 months in a Federal prison. How long can she be held

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ma'am. She was given a lawyer but he quit 7 days before her court date.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's situation.

Are you wondering whether she will be eligible for an early release?

No, she has been waiting to go to a Federal prison. She was sentenced 1-15-2017. She has not been transferred yet.
I would like to know how long she can be held at county jail before being transferred to a Federal facility.
Hello?
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Thanks for the additional information.

You wrote in one place that she was sentenced on November 15th, and in another place January 15th 2017 which I'm sure must be a typo given today's date, just wondering if you can clarify when exactly your daughter was sentenced, was it 11/15/17?

November 15, 2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Thanks for clarifying!

There isn't a set time for how long it can take until she is transferred to the federal facility. In fact it can sometimes take several months before an inmate is transported.

It all depends on the schedule of the transporting federal facility.

The good news is that the time that she is in custody now is also counting toward her sentence. It's not time that won't be calculated.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Then, there is no maximum time she can be held in a county jail before being transported?
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

No there's not a statutory requirement. However, if she was waiting longer than a few months, her attorney could file a motion with the court to inquire as to the reason for the delay and request that she be transported.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones