Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My mom is stalking me! She calls everyday at least 9 times…

Customer Question
Hi! My mom is...

Hi! My mom is stalking me! She calls everyday at least 9 times usually 4 times within 15 minutes, 6 times within an hour and 9 times within 2 hours! I have asked her to stop! She is narrassistic and does not realize it! Is there anyway to get a no contact order, harassment order or other type of order that would stop this contact without putting her in jail? I have records of her calls!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because criminal law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No mam! I live on disability! How much would it cost to talk to a lawyer? I am married but my husband will not come home as long as my mom is stalking me!

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Criminal Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, mam! My mom is my payee but we are working on getting that changed! Also, my mom has heart trouble and is going to cardiac rehab, so I dont want her to have to go to prison, if possible!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/7/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. This appears to me to be an issue of harassment. This means that if someone is engaging in a pattern of intentional, substantial, and unreasonable intrusion into the private life of a targeted person that causes the person and would cause a reasonable person in his position to suffer mental distress. In this case, that seems to be happening.

This means that you would need to go down to your local civil courthouse and request the packet to file a restraining order. You'll need to file it, pay the fee, and then wait for a judge to approve the order. Usually, a judge will approve the order for you and it is usually for at least a couple of days to a couple of months, depending on the severity. Be sure to print out all of the messages that she has sent and the dates and times of everything.

Once it is approved, then you will need to have someone is over 18 and not a partyt the case serve the documents on the other party. The court will call a subsequent hearing about the matter to see if it needs to be continued, but regardless, it'll keep her from harassing you.

How else can I help you today?