Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I found out I was part of identity theft. Someone had

Customer Question
created about 2 credit cards...
I found out I was part of identity theft. Someone had created about 2 credit cards under my name. I reported this to the police. There has been an investigation started. I later found my sister had done this. She admitted to doing the whole thing. She paid as well the cost of about $18,000. Can I take back my report? I don't want her to get jailed? What will her punishment be after paying
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/7/2018
Criminal Lawyer: PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your Questions:

Can I take back my report?

Response 1: Unfortunately, you cannot take back the report. However, you tell the Police that you no longer wish to pursue the case and refuse to cooperate in the investigation.

I don't want her to get jailed? What will her punishment be after paying.

Response 2: If she is charged and convicted, she could face up to one year in jail. See California Penal Code Section 530.5.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

How likely will the police allow me drop the report?

It is very likely since you have found out that the culprit is a family member. The Police would not want to waste valuable resources on pursuing the case if your sister has paid you back and you do not want to press any charges against her.

What else do you recommend I do?

I cannot make any recommendations because I am not your Attorney. In any event, I have nothing else to add to my previous responses.