Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can a civil judge open a case where the charge is 2c:21-1.

Customer Question
Can a civil judge...

Can a civil judge open a case where the charge is 2c:21-1

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there no private right for forgery in nj

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/6/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

This is a criminal code charge and it would be up to the prosecutor's office to file charges for forgery. However, in civil court while there is no specific civil suit for forgery, there is a civil suit for fraud or unfair and deceptive practices or breach of contract and the forgery can be the evidence for one of those civil claims. The judge cannot open a civil case, that is for the victim to file a civil suit for fraud/breach of contract/unfair practices or some other civil cause of action.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer