Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I had a DUI in NC in 2005. I just recently finished my hours…

Customer Question
I had a DUI...

I had a DUI in NC in 2005. I just recently finished my hours and classes. I am not longer suspended or revoked as I completed the program and paid all of my fines. If I were to get my license in NC they would require an interlock system installed. I live and work in Montana full time now, so now that I'm eligible to get my license anywhere (off the registry) will Montana require an interlock or just the home state if I were to ever return and reclaim residency.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Montana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It's not about realestaye

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/6/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Roger, Lawyer
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I’ll be glad to assist.Unless the interlock system was part of your penalty or ordered by the court, you should not be required to install one.
Generally, all conditions and penalties are levied when you are found guilty or plea to the offense.
It was required by North Carolina because I blew a 1.6 however when I talked to DMV they said since I now live in a different state and have satisfied my fines and the alcohol classes I would not be required in another state. But if I ever wanted to be licensed in NC again I would need to have the interlock for one year. I was just trying to verify that as I am on a plane back to Montana and I am very excited to get my license on Monday because I've not had a driver's license since 2008 and it's very embarrassing and unprofessional in my industry
Thanks. Generally, court orders and restrictions / penalties are shared between states via the National Driver’s Registry.
So, you may be required to have the interlock IF that information has been reported to the registry. But, if not, you may get around it.
The only way you’ll find out for sure is to go apply for your license and see if you’re met with this requirement or not.
I wish there were a way to find out, I know kinda childish at 40 years old just don't wanna have my hopes up for Monday morning
No, I understand where you’re coming from. But, whether you’ll be able to get your license without the interlock is going to depend on what NC entered on the Nationals Driver’s Registey. Since this is from 2005, you may luck out because many states didn’t join the registry until a few years later.But, you should be able to get your license either way; the only issue is whether the interlock will be a requirement.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!