Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can someone release my criminal records to my employer?

Also, can I sue my...
Can someone release my criminal records to my employer? Also, can I sue my ex-girlfirend if she cause me a problem at my job by releasing my old record?
1/6/2018
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately no, the law does not offer you much recourse in a situation like this.

Criminal history is considered public record, so while your girlfriend may have provided a print out or some information, the date on your criminal record is till considered as being publicly available to be viewed.

Sorry to not have better news for you but I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
What about my record being expunged and it doesn't show on my background anymore?

Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately yes, even if the cases were previously expunged, there still would be no grounds for a lawsuit here. It does not qualify as defamation as the facts of the expunged case are true, and the statutory laws regarding the disclosure of expunged information does not apply to private citizens.

I'm sorry to not have better news for you, but I hope that helps!