Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My husband was arrested for trespassing in the casino after…

Customer Question
My husband was arrested...

My husband was arrested for trespassing in the casino after signing self exclusion and he has a court hearing in 2 weeks. will he go to jail

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

In Illinois in December 8,2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, my husband wants a pro bono lawyer we have a lot of medical bills since he is getting chemo for cancer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do we need a lawyer in court or we can just go by ourselves. pls advise

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/5/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Although jail is a possible sentence for a misdemeanor conviction, your husband should be able to avoid a jail sentence for a charge like this and under the facts and circumstances for his case. In fact, he may even be able to come out of this case without having to carry a misdemeanor conviction on his record. His likely worst case scenario would be a conviction on the misdemeanor and probation.

It's advisable for every criminal defendant to have a lawyer, as criminal cases can have lifetime repercussions. But if money is a problem, when he shows up to court, he can plead not guilty when he is arraigned on the charges, explain his medical issue to the judge and ask the judge to appoint him a free attorney.

The law allows all criminal defendants to plead not guilty whether or not they have actually committed the crime charged, and it is both customary and necessary that they do so on the first court date in order to keep their rights open so that they can get counsel, negotiate a favorable plea, or fight the case.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD