Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If a CJA (court appointed private attorney) is representing…

If a CJA (court appointed...
If a CJA (court appointed private attorney) is representing a defendant and ignores the defendant's information and evidence provided after several months yet insists he's preparing for a trial and refuses to review or hear out any pertinent information from related cases and imperative information about the case what does that individual do? Additionally, the CJA tried to withdraw from the case but the judge refused. There's fear the CJA is not making effort on the case and they've repeatedly made excuses and accused the defendant of being disrespectful and uncooperative when in all actuality they're the ones acting as such. Clear signs they're creating a diversion of chaos in hopes to convince the judge to release them. The trial is coming up in a month and there are major concerns. Right now a motion for judicial review of grand jury proceedings needs to be submitted because there was potential prosecutorial misconduct. The CJA is refusing to talk about the subject or file the motion after being given various materials that would point to there being a strong possibility that the aforementioned misconduct from the fed prosecutor, in addition to proof of misconduct from hearings and investigative procedures. Please advise and sorry for such a long question.
1/5/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If your attorney is not properly representing you then this is grounds to file a malpractice complaint with the state bar against the attorney. Once you file the complaint against the attorney with the state bar, the judge has to allow him to withdraw from the case and appoint a new attorney. So, that is your next step, if he is not properly representing you then you file a complaint with the state bar against the attorney and then the court needs to appoint a new attorney and if they do not, then that is grounds to appeal for ineffective assistance of counsel and to vacate any adverse decision.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thanks. I'd assume doing so would form major resentment from current counsel. The deadline for premarked exhibits for trial is in a couple of weeks. should all of this be done before then? Would the judge more likely allow such deadline to be deferred? What if there were already two attorneys that withdrew in past two years for similar reasons why the current one is being reported to State Bar? The fact is that the case is the first of its kind (can't find another case out there like it searching case law).

Thank you for your reply.

It would likely cause current counsel to be upset, but they would have to withdraw because of the conflict of interest if you file a bar complaint on them. The judge would have to allow the withdrawal. If two other attorneys already withdrew for similar reasons, the judge is likely to be furious at you and may not appoint another attorney and may force you to finish the case own, so this could be a very bad thing for you to do.