Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son was supposedly masterbating in the bathroom at school…

Customer Question
My son was supposedly masterbating...
My son was supposedly masterbating in the bathroom at school and another walked in. The school is trying to charge my son with indecent exposure. My son has adhd and anxiety. He also has an I.D. diagnosis. Is there anything I can do to get these charges dropped. He didn’t do this intentionally or knowingly. He’s a juvenile
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/5/2018
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The school cannot criminally charge your son. Since only the government can bring charges against a person, it is the prosecutor's office that would make the determination whether to charge him and what to charge him with. You might consider hiring a defense attorney to negotiate with the prosecutor's office and to show them evidence of your son's medical conditions and how they affect his behavior and see if they can get the case dismissed, or alternatively, if a prosecutor will not agree to that, some type of "diversion" program where upon successful completion of court requirements, the charges would be dropped.

Please let me know if I may clarify anything or provide you with additional information. Thank you.