Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I made a bad choice in late November by driving my car after…

Customer Question
I made a bad...

I made a bad choice in late November by driving my car after I was drinking. I have a clean driving record and a CDL. I am wondering what to expect in court on Jan. 23rd

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

The State is Wisconsin and the car is a 2006

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I received a ticket for crossing the center line and driving under the influence.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am just wondering what to expect in the court room. Its all new to me

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/4/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, the he first court appearance following an arrest for OWI in Wisconsin is called a First Appearance or Misdemeanor Arraignment. At this point, you'll have to the driver will go before a judge who will tell you about the nature of your criminal charges.

You may be asked to enter a plea. This means that you may be asked to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty at the time. if you have reason to believe you can fight the claim, then you should plead not guilty. Otherwise, most people simply plead guilty. The judge may impose a sentence at that time which will then usually be a fine for most first time DUI offenders and maybe an alcohol rehabilitation class if one is available, they may be asked to enter a plea.

If you plead not guilty, then you'll have a date set for trial. Some counties do not require OWI offenders to enter a plea until after a pretrial conference has taken place.

Unless it was serious, you probably won't be held in jail until that time, but you may be required to post a bond (payment) until that time to come back and make your plea.

I'm very sorry about your situation. Did you have any other questions for me regarding this?

Ely, Counselor at Law