Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Back in 1991 and again in 1995 I was charged with a class d…

Customer Question
Back in 1991 and...

Back in 1991 and again in 1995 I was charged with a class d felony. Both in Davies Count Mo. For the last 27 years I own a ranch, drag strip and am a published author. I would like to have my records expunged if possible.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that my life is going great, and reaching the age of 67 and would like to be free from my past

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/4/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 6 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Were you convicted of both felonies? What was the charge?

Missouri's expungement law was broadened recently and makes it now possible to remove some felonies from their record. Unfortunately, even if the kind of felony that you have is eligible, they will allow for the expungement of only one felony. The new law allows for the expunging of one felony and up to two misdemeanors. So you're not going to be able to clear your whole record unless you can retain a lawyer to reopen one of your old felonies to petition the judge to reduce it first to a misdemeanor.

Judges have the power to do such a reduction, but they have to have a very compelling reason. You may want to talk to a local criminal lawyer to see if this possibility is a viable option. It is not one that you would be likely to succeed with on your own.

Assuming you could get such a reduction, you would then be able to expunge the entire record. Otherwise, as I indicated earlier, you could expunge one felony but not both.

You can read the expungement law of your state here. Subsection 2 will list felonies that are not eligible for expunction and you can see if yours is among them.

You would have to petition the court for the expungement. Subsection 3 of the law lists what would have to be included in the petition. As expungements are discretionary with the court even if you are qualified for them, while no lawyer is necessary for an expungement, your odds will likely be better if a professional prepares and argues the petition.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.