Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a boyfriend that’s in jail right now for domestic…

Customer Question
I have a boyfriend...

I have a boyfriend that’s in jail right now for domestic violence and a felony for strangulation and its his first records ! He didn’t really chocked me his had his hand on my neck for 2sec

Lawyer's Assistant: Have domestic violence charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Will I haven’t pressed charges ! But his court date is tomorrow he went to jail on the 31st

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the domestic violence occur?

Arlington Virginia

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/3/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Again, sorry to hear about your situation.

Since the police were involved here and an arrest was made, the decision to proceed with the case and criminal charges now rests with the prosecutor.

That being said, you can let the prosecutor know that you do not wish to testofy or help with the case and that you'd like to see the charges dismissed.

The prosecutor still has a duty to proceed with the case if they have enough evidence, so it will depend on how much evidence they have without your testimony -- this could be photographs, video, or other witness statements.

If the prosecutor does not have enough evidence to proceed, then you can expect that the charges will be dismissed.

Your boyfriend should look into hiring a defense attorney to represent him in his case. If he can't afford one right now, then a public defender will be assigned to him at his first court date.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you can he get probation for this if I don't testify and if this his first record ?

Traditionally under VA law a strangulation charge was punishable by a $xxxx fine and up to 12 months in jail.

Under new laws, a domestic violence strangulation is classified as a felony 6, making it punishable by 1 to 5 years in jail.

However yes, probation is also an option. Since it is his first offense, and if the prosecutor does not end up with very strong evidence against him, probation could end up being a likely sentence for him.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer