Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My husband has been incarcerated for the last 13 years for a…

Customer Question
My husband has been...

My husband has been incarcerated for the last 13 years for a crime that he didn't commit. We have new found evidence to prove this. How can we present this new evidence to the courts?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

He's in California. It's 1st degree murder serving a 50 to life sentence

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

None of the new evidence has been reported.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 3 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If you have newly disovered evidence that would exonorate your husband and was not known to anyone at the time of his conviction, you have a solid basis for reopening his case. You would need a criminal defense attorney who does post-conviction work. He can petition the judge to reopen the case so he can look at the new evidence.

If you and your husband can't afford a lawyer, the local public defender's office may be willing to assist or refer you to an appellate defender organization who will do this for him pro-bono.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD