Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Should a criminal case be stayed or request for later

pretrial hearing for premarked exhibits...
Should a criminal case be stayed or request for later pretrial hearing for premarked exhibits if there are pending proceedings for two civil cases related to a federal criminal case that may change the results of a jury trial? Additionally, wouldn't the judicial determination of the federal civil cases be considered sufficient evidence to include with premarked exhibits, also. NOTE: The two civil cases involve the defendant of the criminal case. Whereas, they're the plaintiff in both civil cases.
1/2/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

Yes, you should ask for a continuance in the criminal matter pending the outcome of the two civil matters, because it may put you in a better position in the criminal matter based on what happens with the civil case. The exhibits are not automatically admitted, but based on the civil determination, it could certainly give you an advantage that you should pursue.

Please rate five stars by clicking on five stars ***** and press send.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor
Should a tell my (CJA) counsel to request a motion to stay or continue the criminal matter already set for trial in a month?
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor