Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I got charged with domestic battery they offered me a plea…

Customer Question
I got charged with domestic...
I got charged with domestic battery they offered me a plea deal of disturbing the peace if i accept the deal can i lose my gun rights?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/2/2018
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 6 months ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Thanks so what the verdict?

Good afternoon. It could be an issue that results in you losing your rights. Under federal law, if you are convicted of a domestic violence misdemeanor or felony, you lose your right to carry firearms for life. This also applies to domestic violence charges that are plead down to a lesser offense (assault, battery, or even disturbing the peace). As such, even if the State did not take your rights the government would likely, as a result of this.

Can't afford the call its a yes or no answer i need tho

Yes, you likely would lose them even with the plea, as I shared above since the government would see this was a reduced charge with the original being for DV

It was a Misdemeanor battery charge that i was not convicted only charged now they wanna offer a deal of disturbing the peace so since I was never convicted of the battery charge your saying im fine

No, I am not at all. As I shared above, under federal law this could result in you losing your rights. Even though the charge is amended and you were not convicted of it, if it stems from a DV charge, it could have the same impact on the Federal level.