Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My mom rented a car for me. Hertz has been charging her

Customer Question
My mom rented a...

My mom rented a car for me. Hertz has been charging her credit card each month since November. I received a call saying that the car is scheduled to be repo'd and if the car isn't located a warrant can be issued

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. This just happened.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My mom is out of the country, she is returning on the 10th, international flight. If the warrant is issued, can something happen to her as she goes through customs?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/2/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Yes, if the warrant is issued, since the car was rented in your mom's name, that will be entered into the computer database and when your mom reenters the US through Customs and Immigration, the warrant will show up and she will be arrested.

If they are demanding return of the car, it is their car and it should be returned to them as they have demanded or it could cause your mom some criminal and legal issues.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Typically how long does it take for a warrant to be issues in California? I'm out of town till Thursday and there is no one that can return the car on our behalf
Also, what happens if the car is returned after the warrant is issued?

Thank you for your reply.

Typically a warrant can be issued in a couple of hours. It all depends when they go to the police and when the police get the judge to sign off on the warrant.

If the car is returned after the warrant it is too late, she would still need to appear in court on the charges and explain what happened and why she did not return the car as agreed.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer