Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My fiancé was arrested about a month ago for sales of

Customer Question
My fiancé was arrested...

My fiancé was arrested about a month ago for sales of controlled substance and receiving stolen property

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the receiving stolen property charges?

He was out on bail for sales of a controlled substance

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the receiving stolen property occur?

The new sales charge would be #9 sales for him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

All Orange County Ca

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/2/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 7 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. To clarify, are you saying that while out on bail on a sale charge he was arrested for a new sale? Are you saying he has 7 previous sale convictions? What is the question you are asking about this?

I just want to know if he is able to get some kind of a drug program. He has never been to one.

In my experience, it's difficult for those charged with sale rather than with possession to get drug programs, unless it's clear that he is selling only to support a drug habit. If he's served felony time in the past for any of his previous convictions, in my experience it would be nearly impossible to negotiate. He would have to do his program in-house while serving time.

I have a client once who simply put himself in a long-term treatment program even though he was not approved for such a program because of his prior conviction. By long term, I mean 18-24 month inpatient programs. The prosecutor and the judge were not happy about that and issued warrants when I informed the court he was in a program. But they did dismiss the case down the road when he completed the program successfully and voluntarily returned on the warrant two years later. It's not a course I'd recommend and I advised the client against it when he told me what he was going to do, but it did work out in this one case because he did turn his life around.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.