Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My ex owes me 20k in arrears and he has been trying to

Customer Question
My ex owes me...

My ex owes me 20k in arrears and he has been trying to blackmail me out of it by threatening to report me for food stamp fraud (not reporting his income during the initial 8 months we lived together), and tax fraud (claiming too much in child care costs from one center). I have never intentionally tried to commit fraud, but there is a chance I may have filed incorrectly. What is the worse HE can do against me? Alert authorities? And if the charges are legitimate, what is the worst that can happen to me? Also, isn't it illegal for him to blackmail me like this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the charges?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Florida

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 1 month ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Good afternoon. The worse he can do is report this. If he does the state / government could investigate and decide if they want to charge you. If they do you would need to defend this and show there was no intent here and this was an error or mistake and you messed up with the filing.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty