Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Custody and suboxone treatment

Customer Question
custody and suboxone treatment
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Criminal Lawyer: QuickEasyLegalHelp, Criminal Justice Lawyer replied 1 month ago
QuickEasyLegalHelp
QuickEasyLegalHelp, Criminal Justice Lawyer

Hello, I am a lawyer and can help you. I understand your question is regarding custody and suboxone treatment. What is your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. I was placed on rx pain medication following a car accident. I suffer from from chronic cervicogenic migraines as well as fibromyalgia which isa recent diagnosis. I realized a while back that I was building a tolerance and tried to stop, however, I get sick now when I do and cannot function to work and take card of my kids. My question is, in FL, if somehow my ex or the courts orCPS (do they report it to these agencies?) found out I was on a suboxone treatment, is that grounds to have my custody taken?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am in FL and need to know specifically for florida state laws.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to start a treatment program but am scared it will somehow affect my custody
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
funny how the treatment part is what I am worried about...meanwhile no one cares if my doctor gives me 60 percocet a month...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry are you there?

Yes, I am typing....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You guys should really have a "expert is typing" feature :)

I believe I understand your question.

There are many factors the court will take into consideration to determine custody...

The best interest of the child is the standard for custody determination under IMDMA and the Parentage Act. The emphasis in a custody determination is not on which parent is "better" or "worse," but on the child's best interests considering all relevant factors, including but not limited to:

1.the wishes of the child's parent or parents as to his custody

2.the wishes of the child as to his custodian

3.the interaction and interrelationship of the child with his parent or parents, his siblings and any other person who may significantly affect the child's best interest

4.the child's adjustment to his home, school and community

5.the mental and physical health of all individuals involved

6.the physical violence or threat of physical violence by the child's potential custodian, whether directed against the child or directed against another person

7.the occurrence of ongoing abuse as defined in Section 103 of the Illinois Domestic Violence Act of 1986, whether directed against the child or directed against another person; and

8.the willingness and ability of each parent to facilitate and encourage a close and continuing relationship between the other parent and the child.

It is possible that your ex could allege that your mental and physical health is compromised, but as you can see there are many factors for the court to consider when making custody determinations. Does that make sense?

Agree - we need an expert is typing as fast as she can feature!!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but all that information is readily available for me to read via google..I hoping for a bit more detailed answer pertaining to my situation...

And if I were your attorney, I would strongly advise the court to consider that you are entering a treatment facility to become HEALTHIER and a better parent.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For instance, are they going to find out just because I started treatment? do medical providers report it? insurance?

Yes, of course, we can definitely get more specific. I always start with generic and then drill down from there. So let's flesh out what your...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you see my previous question?

YES! Please give me a moment - thank you.

Ely, Counselor at Law