Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is corruption of a minor a misdemeanor or a felony?

Is corruption of a...

Lawyer's Assistant: Have corruption charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Preliminary is January*****date is February 5

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the corruption occur?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, the corruption of a minor goes with marijuana and alcohol charges

12/30/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Okay. The alcohol and marijuana was honestly not mine. It was my friend's and I just so happen to be in the car. I had not given her any of it.

In Pennsylvania, corruption of a minor is covered by section 6301 of Pennsylvania's penal code. You can find it here. As you can see, it is a felony of the third degree. That would have a maximum possible penalty of 7 years in prison.

That said, there is a world of difference between what the state needs to charge you with this crime -- just a reasonable belief you may have exposed her to alcohol and marijuana -- and what they need to convict you. It doesn't take much evidence to get someone charged and prosecuted, but the state needs proof beyond a reasonable doubt in order to convict you.

The issue of whether the drugs were yours and whether you shared them with the minor would be a question of fact which, if you want to fight this case all the way to trial, a jury would decide for itself once they heard all of the evidence. So that means you should have a lawyer for this case if you don't already. It is a fairly serious charge.

If you are unable to afford a lawyer, plead not guilty at your arraignment. Any time after you've done that, you can tell the judge you are too poor to retain counsel and ask the judge for a public defender.

Zoey_ JD
Okay. Thank you so much for the information. This really helps

You're very welcome. Good luck, and best wishes for the coming new year.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD