Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Under Heat of passion victim wrote misleading incorrect

Customer Question
Under Heat of passion...

Under Heat of passion victim wrote misleading incorrect letter to press charge

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Victim want to rich prosecutor to give explanations about it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/30/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Victim which is girlfriend wants charges was dropped
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

All the victim would need to do is reach out to the prosecutor, either by phone or in-person appointment, and explain that she is not willing to testify in the case and would like to see the charges dismissed.

Ultimately a dismissal is up to the prosecutor, not the girlfriend, since the police were involved and the case was brought to the prosecutor's office.

However, if the prosecutor cannot prove the case without the girlfriend's testimony, then the case would in fact end up being dismissed. Alot depends on what other evidence and witnesses the prosecutor has.

The girlfriend could also have the attorney of the accused prepare a Non Prosecution Affidavit which she can sign, and the defense attorney can provide a copy to the prosecutor, instead of having to meet or speak with the prosecutor directly.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!