Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was threatened by the Prosecutor in a felony Delivery of a…

Customer Question
I was threatened by the...
I was threatened by the Prosecutor in a felony Delivery of a Controlled substance schedule 2& schedule 3 in 2014 after she found out I was fighting the charges The prosecutor verbally told my lawyer if I didnt take the plead she offered She would go after my wife on a conspiracy charge If I took the deal she would drop the charges on my wife. So i took it out of fear for my wife. When asked by the Judge if I was under any Threat or Promise of anything to accept this Plea I answered no in fear of the threat. What rights if any of mine were violated and what type of Lawyer should I seek out to help me?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/30/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Unfortunately what you've described is something that's often part of the plea negotiation process.

A prosecutor will often agree to dismiss charges or not file charges, in exchange for another party's testimony or guilty plea.

When the judge asks whether you're taking the plea under threat or promise, they are referring to being intimidated by someone by threat of violence, threat of violence to your loved ones, or bribed with money. They are not refering to negotiations with the prosecutor, in which you are accepting a plea in exchange for the non-prosecution of someone else.

Again, this type of negotiating takes place regularly between prosecutors and defense attorneys, and is not considered a violation of your civil rights, but rather a necessary part of the criminal plea negotiation process.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer