Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My bfs sister put a temporary restraining order and it was…

Customer Question
My bfs sister put...

My bfs sister put a temporary restraining order and it was served to me today. Her brother went with her the same day to make a report . I only got served with hers. Why not his also ? Doe that make it not official ? Why didn't they serve me for both at the same time if they were filed together ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do I have to go to the hearing ?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 6 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

There is no way to tell you for sure why you have only been served with her report and not his. It may be that he changed his mind. Or, if they live together he can be covered under hers. Or he may be getting yours served separately. Any of this or more would be a possible answer.

However, I am sure of this -- yes, you should go to the hearing. If you don't, they will get a default judgment and the permanent order will be granted. Your only way of keeping that order from being issued would be to show up at the hearing with your evidence and fight the allegations you were served with today.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.