Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am a ex felon of 20yrs drugs and guns where found in my…

Customer Question
Good day I am...

Good day I am a ex felon of 20yrs drugs and guns where found in my house.I was sentenced to 15yrs 9yrs was suspended that left 6yrs under Va.law I was put on a work release program and made parole probation after my first 8mos of lockdown which took place April 1997 and I was released April 1998 on un supervised probation parole I went back to college while maintaining a full time job got career in aviation moved to Greensboro nc 2000 where I have resided ever since. Can you help me get my gun rights restored

Lawyer's Assistant: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

Hampton va

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Explain please

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/28/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 5 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. JustAnswer is not a law firm so lawyer on this site is allowed to represent a customer. Per cite rules and the regulations of our bar associations, all we can do is to give you general legal information.

I could tell you in general what you'd have to do to restore your state and Federal gun rights. You would have to do the work for yourself or hire a local lawyer to do it for you. If you're interested in that, let me know and I'll answer your question.

I would like for you to tell me how I can get my rights restored thank you inadvance

Thank you for the reply.

Since Virginia was the state that took away your rights, Virginia has to give them back before you'd be eligible to get them back anywhere else in the country. Also, if you commit a felony, you lose your Federal rights along with your state rights. So you have to worry about those two.

The first would be via a full gubernatorial pardon. A pardon would restore all of your civil rights along with your gun rights. With that, the Federal government would lift their ban against you as well, and you would have your full gun rights.

Pardons are not easy to come by. Every governor can choose for himself how generous to be with his pardon power. You can see the information about how to get one here

The other way to get your state gun rights back in Virginia is to petition the court in the jurisdiction where you were convicted of your felony, after you have already restored your other civil rights. You can see that in this statute. 18.2-308.2(C)

The Federal government will take into consideration that all your rights were restored, if you go the judicial route, but they can still require that your felony be dismissed, expunged or pardoned before you will be able to bear arms in North Carolina.

As you can see, this can be a fairly complicated matter. No lawyers are required but there are criminal lawyers who do a lot of work restoring civil rights, and you might want to hire one.

Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD