Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Are political robo calls allowed in the state of Texas

Customer Question
Are political robo calls...

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/28/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Generally, the telephone consumer protection acts prevents against these kinds of calls. In the state of Texas, within the first 30 seconds, all robocalls must state the nature of the call, the identity of the sponsor of the call, and the telephone number from which the call is made.

A permit is usually required before they are even able to start making these calls at all and they have to explain what kind of device (e.g. robot caller) that they would be using. There's also time limitations. Generally, these kinds of calls are not allowed before 9:00 am or after 9:00 pm on Monday-Saturday, and before 12:00 pm or after 9:00 pm on a Sunday.

So, the answer to your question is yes, they are allowed, but within certain regulatory guidelines.

Did you have any other questions for me today?

OK what type of permit and where would I obtain one if needed

You'll need to contact the Public Utility Commission for Texas. They can tell you the specific kind of permit. Because I don't work for them, I couldn't tell you for sure; however, they're the ones that will be able to assist. Did you have any other questions for me today?