Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Current lawyer is eating me alive at $400 per hour on this…

Customer Question
Current lawyer is eating...

Current lawyer is eating me alive at $400 per hour on this divorce case.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Any way i can have a public defender for the remainder of this case? All that is left is the 2nd mediation

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes. Lenny Franco. I can no longer afford his $400 per hour fee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've already paid the man well over $10000 in fees and retainer.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/27/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately, Public Defenders only handle criminal cases...not civil ones as a person has a right to be represented in a criminal case as a matter of law whether they can afford an attorney or not. A divorce is a civil action, so the same rights do not apply.

.

With that said, if you are down to the end, there is nothing that would prevent you from terminating your attorney and just representing yourself in the final stages if you wanted to undertake that...

.

Sometimes the Legal Aid office might be able to help, as they handle civil cases for people on a tight budget or might be able to refer you to a lower cost or even pro bono attorney to assist..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much