Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have question pertaining filing a complaint with Crime…

I have question pertaining filing...
I have question pertaining filing a complaint with Crime Victim Rights Board -- My intial steps I made a complaint with Department of Justic Victim Resource Center against an officer who on two occasions failed to provide any victim rights information pertaining to a dometsic violence crime against me. Reading both police reports cop failed to put any evidence he wittnessed in my home in his nay police report making it look as if I am not a victim, (allowing crimes to continue). What the cop did not realize I recorded him in my home on both occasions proving he falsified both reports. I passed the recordings onto to DOJ, Victim Resource Center to validate what I state as true. Victim Resource question the cop and the cop lied to Victim Resource Center. Victim Resource sent me proper forms to now file my complaint with Crime Victims Rights Board. CVRB will then make a probale determination whether I was entiteld my victim rights information, my recording will prove yes, its quite clear cop lied on both report. What does the board do if they recognize two falsified report were made by the cop, which is a felony and what does the board do when the cop lied to DOJ, Victim Resource Center, is that not crimes of obstruction of Justice, felony--to Victim Resource Center—I guess my last question what does the CVRB do if cop lies to the Board. Thank You
12/27/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Really all the CVRB can do is issue private or public reprimands for violations, seek appropriate equitable relief on behalf of a victim; bring a civil action to assess a forfeiture of up to $1000 for an intentional violation; and it may issue reports and recommendations concerning the provision of victims’ rights and services.

IF you want more than them just punishing the violator, then you would have to ask them to provide you legal assistance to file a civil suit against the officer for damages his known false reporting caused you to suffer. So, essentially, if he lied in his police reports and that caused you to suffer more abuse, you would need to consider suing the officer for violating your victim rights and the finding of the CVRB would be your additional evidence along with the recordings you made of the officer.

You also should seek to file a complaint with the Internal Affairs Division of the officer's department as they can fire the officer for his misconduct.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** months ago I filed two complaints against the officer with the Internal Affairs Division. Law Educator what does it mean public reprimands for violations and in referance for the board to seek appropriate equitable relief on behalf of a victim would pertain to s. 778.06 -- The Board would come into the local circut court twhere the violations took place and seek in settlement actions the board shall treat comparible situations in a comparable manner and assure the settlment bears a reasonable relationship to the severity of the offence. If the violations are wrongful acations an employee of the sheriff department, (its the Sheriff Office that is responsible training officers) does the liability, settlement also fall on the Sheriff's Department. Added--If one officer breaks protocol and procedures twice is this now considered the sheriff's department standards of procedures. Thank You

Thank you for your reply.

Public reprimands would mean letters available to the public the officer did wrong. They can seek the $1000 sanctions in court against the officer and the department.

Quite honestly, in these cases it is best to get your own attorney and sue the department and the officer for the emotional harm and damages you suffered, because you can pursue more in damages against them than the board can pursue against them. If one officer breaks protocol then typically the officer is responsible, but the employer can be equally responsible for failure to properly supervise the officer or failure to correct the matter when brought to their attention. So both would be liable to you and your local attorney could and would sue both of them and the finding of the board would be the gross negligence that would get you beyond their normal statutory limited immunity from suit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You--My journey has been quite long and Crime Victims Resource Center has the full story. There is a second officer who is now retired who also falsified a report pertaing to my case as did the first officer. There was meeting in my home with the officer and I was being treated so poorly I recorded this officer as well proving now three falsified reports. What Victim Rights Resource Center now relizes this falsified report was given to DOJ who had requested my case opened and properly investigated, commiting Obstruction to Justice. As I understand DOJ can take no actions against this now retired officer unless I as a victim file a complaint report on him and I did file the complaint. In all DOJ is quite aware there is allot of curruption going on within the sheriff's Department, other local agencies. State Domestic abuse agencyies are also aware what has happened and they are quite upset a victim of domenstic crimes have gone through what I have gone through. I have lost a great deal of time, first falsified report was 5 1/2 years ago. So I am being asked what remedy would I seek the board to do on my behalf, I just don't know quite how to answer the question.

Thank you for your reply.

You can still file a suit against him in civil court and not rely on the government to keep pursuing him. As I said, you can get more in damages by using a local attorney and suing. Most attorneys would handle this type of case on a contingency basis meaning they would collect a fee off of what they would win for you.

The board can only seek the remedies above. If you have a dollar amount in mind that would compensate you for the emotional distress they caused you then you can ask them for that amount of money, but most times they cannot get much money. They can sanction the officers they could even mandate retraining of the officer and the entire department, but the extent of what they can get you compared to you suing with a private attorney is quite limited.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I lost allot of income and had to go into my retirement I should have never had to do. As far as emotional distress, I wrote my story to Wis, Dept of Human Service, SSDI Admin and in four weeks I recieved a mediacl determination letter my medical condition as severe, Complext PTSD and I was put on state medical disability immediately. Such a sad story how broken our local justice system is, to harm innocent victims instead of protetcing them basically due to political control and bribery.

Thank you for your reply.

I can imagine that you did, which is why I cannot imagine why you would let the Board get you less than you could get using a private attorney like I said several times above.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You, ***** ***** close now and rate you. I will open again I do have another area of law questions to ask

Thank you very much.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer