Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I got a new job 5 months..and just 2 weeks ago they req

Customer Question
I got a new...

I got a new job 5 months..and just 2 weeks ago they req consent for additional bckground screening..it came back with disorderly conduct from 1994..I have never had this come up before..in fact i thought it was just a ticket offense..what now?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Delaware

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No..should i??

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/27/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 6 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Are you saying that this case does not belong to you? Or are you saying that when you pled guilty to this charge, you didn't realize you would end up with a misdemeanor on your record? What, specifically, is your question? "What now?" is much too general for me to know what you need to find out.

I have worked in the banking industry for 20 yrs now..and never had this come up on background checks..can i have it sealed or expunged? is this considered a misdemeanor??
i thought it was just a ticketed offense

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, this is a misdemeanor offense. Citations are frequently given for misdemeanors when the person ticketed has no previous criminal convictions and the crime itself is not a serious or violent matter.

Here is the Delaware statute with which you were charged.

I can only guess why this matter has never turned up before, and that's not productive for your purposes. You can go to the court where the matter was heard and get a certificate of disposition so that you can see what you actually pled to and how it was resolved or hire a local lawyer to look into the charge and then see if he can reopen the case and get it dismissed for you.

Delaware expunges juvenile offenses and adult non-convictions. They do not expunge adult convictions.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.