Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can a University dismiss you if you were arrested off campus…

Customer Question
Can a University dismiss...

Can a University dismiss you if you were arrested off campus and have not been officially charged?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Michigan, December 10

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, I was just brainstorming this morning.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/26/2017
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 7 months ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. What was the person arrested for?

Concealing the death of an individual and failure to report the death, but I called 911.
Ni, I just wanted some basic advice no charges are officially filed yet. The University got the information from the news paper.

Thank you for the reply. The University has their own student code of conduct and policies and procedures they follow when dismissing a student. They should be afforded due process and a right to be heard and there should be a hearing held by the school, prior to just dismissing the student. I do not think the university would simply send them notice they have been dismissed and would need to follow the procedures in place for dismissing a student. The student should obtain and review the student handbook and code of conduct, which outlines what happens in situations where a person is charged or even arrested