Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If someone on the property that i rent had felony amount of…

Customer Question
If someone on the...

If someone on the property that i rent had felony amount of meth but not in my house, but in an outside building, can i be charged with same charges even though the drugs are not mine and not in my posetion

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?

Possetion of meth, delivery of meth, manufacturing meth.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im not a felon, im not on probation, ive not been charged with drugs in the past, i didnt have anything to do with the things he was into what if i cant make deposit

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/26/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If you're talking about a separate in-law apartment or other structure which you were renting to the other person and that you did not have access to, then you shouldn't be charged with anything. They would want to see evidence of the agreement, which could be as simple as texts or emails, if you have them. For something like a shed that you were using and the other person also accessed, it is possible they would charge you if they believe they can prove that you were aware the drugs were there. At the same time, there's a strong change you'd be able to negotiate for immunity in exchange for testifying against the other person.

You can contact a local criminal defense attorney to reach out to the prosecutor on your behalf, or you can wait to see if they contact/charge you before taking action. If you are charged with a felony, you have a right to be represented by a lawyer at no cost if you can't afford one. It's generally not a good idea to try to negotiate immunity on your own without a lawyer present. And keep in mind that, no matter what they say, police cannot grant immunity. The prosecutor has to agree to it.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?