Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is it illegal to bare an arm in my vehicle?

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/24/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 7 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. In what US state? Is it a handgun or another type of firearm? Do you have a permit?

In California, yes with a permit, a hand gun

Thank you. Please give me a little time to research California law and to compose your response. JustAnswer will email you when I am finished. That way you don't have to sit there glued to your screen while I research.

Yes, with a permit, you can carry a concealed handgun in your car, but it must be completely unloaded or in your trunk or a locked container. The locked container cannot be a glove or utility compartment.

As unload you mean not triggered?

No. I mean completely unloaded if you're carrying in your vehicle.

I am asking this because the other day a person tried to pick up a fight for no reason while I was getting out of my car, I was able to fight him off while he had sharp object, it should have been easier for me to defend myself

Not under California law, unfortunately.

What can I do in these cases?

Contact the authorities and report the assault. Carry something else that can be used on the street for self-defense purposes, such as pepper spray, which is lawful in California so long as the container is no bigger than a 2.5 oz bottle, or one of those alarm key chains.

California's gun laws are complicated and tough.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.