Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My son has a third-degree juvenile felony adjudication in…

My son has a...

My son has a third-degree juvenile felony adjudication in Texas, dating back to 2013. He is 20 now. Can he purchase a long gun?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

He went to court in 2013. He finished probation in 2015.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a TX lawyer about this yet?

His lawyer said yes because juvenile adjudications are not convictions in Texas. I want a second opinion.

12/24/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

In general, juvenile justice dispositions are adjudications rather than convictions. As such, under both Texas and Federal law, someone with a juvenile felony adjudication would have his rights. That said, in some instances, juvenile cases get transferred to adult court and a juvenile can face adult sentences. If that is the case, the juvenile offender would have no gun rights.

If his lawyer said your son's matter was just an adjudication, he'd be in the best position to know.

OK. Keep in mind, I am only asking about a long gun. I know there are more restrictions for a handgun.
Thank you so much. You have eased my mind.
His case stayed in juvenile court.

I understand. I'm talking about FIREARMS which would include long guns as well as handguns. If he has no Federal or state gun rights, he can't have any type of a firearm.

Zoey_ JD

Good. If it never got to adult court, then he never had a felony conviction and he should have his gun rights.

Beest wishes for a happy holiday season.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD