Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If someone was charged 2 counts of battery domestic violence…

Customer Question
If someone...

If someone was charged 2 counts of battery domestic violence 25 years ago can he purchase a gun in the state of fla and and this was hisfirst time in trouble with the law and he serverd only probation

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?

There was no trial and only one case

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Fla

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/24/2017
Criminal Lawyer: James Daloisio, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

You haven't indicated whether the offenses were felonies or misdemeanors, but for our purposes it won't make a difference. Under federal law, any offense involving domestic violence permanently bars a person from owning, using, or possessing any firearm or ammunition. (18 U.S.C. 922(g)(9).) Under Florida law, in order to be eligible to own or possess a firearm and ammunition, you have to be eligible under the federal law.

This particular section of the law is known as the "Lautenberg Amendment" and was passed back in 1996; however, even if your conviction was before the date the law went into effect, it still applies to you.

This law is presently under scrutiny by the Trump administration and there may be some good news in the future, but as of right now you are not able to purchase a firearm.

Please don't forget to rate this answer, and thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Lawyer