Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just got a citation for the possession of drug

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a citation for the possession of drug paraphernalia :(

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

The woodlands, Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I’m still gathering evidence myself because I just moved forward in a hiring process for the city of Houston and I have a background information application I have to turn in on the 9th of January but I must appear in court before the 23rd. Should I mention the citation on my background check application?? :(((

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have no money..

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/23/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 5 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Were you fingerprinted and photographed by the police?

A citation is in lieu of an arrest. That is, it's a ticket telling you when to appear in court. It has the force and effect of an arrest, but you were not taken into custody. Typically, if you have not been booked yet or printed, this citation would not show on your criminal history yet.

Since it is not a conviction, you could lawfully say "no" to any question that asks if you've been convicted of a crime. If they ask about arrests, the accurate answer is "yes," but if you said no, at least right now, they likely wouldn't find it.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD