Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How can I get my misdemeanor expunged without going through…

How can I get my...
How can I get my misdemeanor expunged without going through a lawyer? Can I file it myself? Also how long is the process?
12/23/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Ok thank u

Were you convicted or just arrested? If convicted, how long ago were you convicted? Have you been convicted of anything else since the misdemeanor?

i was charged with a disorderly persons offence in 2008. I have not had any other charges, never been to jail and have nothing other than traffic tickets.

I know I am eligible to get it expunged, I just wanted to know how to go about doing it myself. A lawyer fee is going to cost about $xxxx-xxxx and I cannot afford that at this time.

Thank you.

According to the facts you have given me, you would appear to be eligible to petition the court for an expungement. This is something you can do for yourself. A lawyer is not required, though it may be complicated for you to do without one.

Fortunately, the state of New Jersey puts the expungement forms online with step by step instructions on what you need and what you will have to do. You can see the directions and forms for it here:

http://www.nj.gov/corrections/pdf/OTS/FRARA/ParoleHandbook/10557_expunge_kit-11-2012.pdf

It gets filed in the Superior Court in the jurisdiction where you were convicted. It's not a given. The state will look behind your petition to make sure it is accurate. Figure from start to finish about 6 months, give or take a month or two depending upon whether a hearing will be necessary.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD