Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am possibly going to be falsely charged with conspiracy to…

Customer Question
I am possibly going...

I am possibly going to be falsely charged with conspiracy to commit armed robbery. I was a victim in the car when the person that did commit this crime unexpecedledy jumped in the back seat of my car and robbed my friend and I. I ended up knowing this person that was arrested and already sentenced so they claim they have phone records that prove this. I know how detectives lie just to get an admittance on whether a person did it or not. I am so scared. I am 46 and a mom of a 18 year old son. I have not been in any trouble since I become sober from an addiction 8 years ago. I have no idea if they have anything or if I should prepare to be arrested. What would the retainer be to hire an atty to find out what they allegedly have on me. I refuse to admit to this or plead guilty to something I had no such part in. The person arrested was a monster and a giant bully. He took whatever he wanted from myself and others. No one would stand up to him out of fear of what he would do. l

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

What ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The state is Iowa and yes it was reported the robbery by the other victim and i

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
I simply recieved a phone call from a detective today asking me to come speak with him and I declined. H e did come out and say he thinks I help orchestrate this grand plans to rob myself and my guy friend. They claim there are phone records
12/22/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Michael J. Ocampo, CA Criminal Defense Attorney replied 7 months ago
Michael J. Ocampo
Michael J. Ocampo, CA Criminal Defense Attorney

You did the right thing by declining to speak with police. You do not have to speak with police if you do not wish to do so. This is true when you are a citizen and even when after you have been arrested.

It would be prudent to retain a criminal defense attorney in your area. The service you are requesting is sometimes known as "pre-filing services." Basically, you'll have a lawyer to cover you between now and if / when charges are filed against you. A skilled criminal defense attorney will serve as a buffer between you and police, thereby preventing you from making any statements that could be construed by authorities as incriminating.

Prices for this service vary, so you'll have to call around. if you don't know any criminal defense attorneys, a good start would be to check consumer review sites such as Yelp or Avvo.com. You can even try Google. You'll want an attorney who has experience with your specific alleged crime (robbery). It may also be helpful to have a budget for yourself (read: a number that you're not willing to go higher than at this stage).

You should also beware that "pre-filing services" are a discrete service. If charges are filed, you'll likely have to re-up the retainer to keep the attorney through pretrial ... and then re-up the retainer again if the matter proceeds to trial.

Best of luck.

Thank you, ***** ***** a lot. He did say he had proof. I do not know if I can ask one more question. He claimed he had proof of this and he was sending it to the county atty to revue to sign for a warrant for me to be arrested. Does he have to go thru the county atty or if he has sufficient evidence can he arrest me without going thru county attorney?

From the officer's perspective, it would be safer to make the arrest with a warrant. A warrantless arrest that ultimately gets thrown out would damage his credibility, and officers typically try to avoid that.

Again, it is in your interest to retain a local attorney for "pre-filing services." If a warrant is issued, then the attorney can help guide you through the situation without angering the judge or the authorities. You don't want to be in a situation where you flee because of the warrant. Though such behavior is understandable, regrettably, judges and prosecutors use such behavior to justify keeping you in jail until your matter resolves -- rather than allowing you to remain free on your own recognizance.