Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I’m trying to obtain my kids through a court order but the…

Customer Question
I’m trying to obtain...

I’m trying to obtain my kids through a court order but the granddad will not give them back to me. What do I need to do to pursue charges

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the granddad charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?

He has not been charged but Im wanting to pursue charges for him not returning my children to me. What can I do? He has no rights established to keep them from me from me. Since he is not responding to law enforcement or myself what can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Ohio

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about this.

Can you tell me a little more about your situation, where are you in the legal process?

My girlfriend passed away last Tuesday. The funeral was Monday. The grandad did not allow me to have my three sons. I filed a motion with the court granting me my rights on Tuesday. Since then they have not returned my children and have been hiding with them. They are not responding to law enforcement or myself. Law enforcement says I need to file a motion with the court so they can go in without knocking or even put out an amber alert but since they cannot give me legal advice they cannot tell me what I need to file or do. Please help me ! I have not seen my boys since my fiancé funeral
I don’t understand what you mean?

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Just to clarify, these are your biological children and you have legal custody of them, correct?

that is correct
They are biological and I have custody. Yes

Have the police gone to the grandparents' home? And do you believe that the grandparents pose a threat to your children's safety?

The police have gone to their home and I am in fear for their well being emotionally, emotionally and maybe even physically. I don’t know what’s going on. I need to get my boys back. They are not used to these people
I do not know if they are thinking. I do not know why. I need to take the next step to FORCE them to give me my boys back

I'm not sure that the police officers have given you 100% correct information here.

If your parents have not legally obtained custody rights, then they have no legal right to keep your children, and they are bordering on criminal behavior.

Also, there is not a legal document that you need to obtain in order to get your kids back.

You simply need to go to their house, with a police escort, and demand the return of your children. If they don't have any legal documentation showing that you or a court signed them over custody, then the police officers have the authority to mandate that they hand your children over back into your care.

If any police officer has told you different, you may need to speak to higher up and request to meet with their sergeant.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hello? Are you still there?

Yes, did you receive my prior response? I sent it about 20 minutes ago, I'll resend it to you.

I hope that helps!

Please. Your being a former state attorney. I know you are good. Please. Please help me!

Per our contract with the website, neither myself nor any of the other attorneys on the site are able to retain clients through the site. The site is meant for general educational information only.

All of the information I've shared with you above is accurate, you should go to your parents' house with a police escort, who can mandate the return of your kids. If an officer is telling you differently, then you need to speak with his sergeant.

I hope that helps!

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer