Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was convicted felon drug charges. But I got probation with…

Customer Question
I was convicted felon...

I was convicted felon drug charges. But I got probation with defer with completion of probation. I completed the probation 8 years ago. Is there anything else I need to do? Can I vote or buy a gun? These is in texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/22/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago
Nisha Jones

Hi, I'm a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'm reviewing your question and will reply in a moment.

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

I'll be answering your questions today, keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship.

I'm happy to help, can you first clarify, were you convicted or did you receive a deferment as a first time offender, which would have resulted in your case being closed with a dismissal?

It was a deferment if I compete my probation. And I did. I did my two probation and it done with more than 8 years ago. I tried to buy a gun last year. So I’m a little lost. Am I suppose to do something after I finish the probation?
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

No, there shouldn't be anything else that needs to be done.

If you were given a deferment and successfully completed the terms of your probation, then the charges against you should have been dismissed at the close of your case.

That means that you would not be considered a convicted felon, and can in fact purchase a firearm.

Were there any other convictions after that case? If there was a later conviction that could be the problem, but the prior deferment case should not be.

Did you ever go back into court at the end of your case when you completed probation, and do you remember the prosecutor saying in court on the record that your case was dismissed?

If not, then there could have been an oversight by your attorney where the dismissal was never actually entered.

The way you can verify that is by going into the clerk of court in the courthouse where your case was heard, and requesting a copy of the final disposition for your case. It should say that your case was dismissed.

If not, then you will need to request that the prosecutor's office correct the record.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!