Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Someone is accusing me of catfishing them. California. That…

Customer Question
Hello someone is accusing...

Hello someone is accusing me of catfishing them

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That i threatened to kill them

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Hello, Someone in california is accusing me that i used someone else's pictures and catfished them they are also accusing me that i supposedly sent text messages that i'm going to kill them

I'm sorry to hear that. What did they say exactly?

they said that they have already involved cops and the cops have supposedly pulled out my IP address and verified that it's me and they said i threatened to kill them and that's a crime i'm gonna go to jail thats what they have been telling me.

I'm so sorry to hear about that. So now that I know the layout, could you help me understand a bit about what questions you have about this?

i want to know can they arrest me for false accusations? can they arrest me for catfishing?

I see what you mean. So, the answer to your question is yes they can arrest you; however, they must have probable cause to do so. Do you think that you did anything that would give them probable cause to arrest you at all?

No i have not threatened them in any way i have not catfished them

I see what you mean. It is often that people make threats without thinking about all of the steps involved. It is probable that this person is just upset about something that happened that may or may not had something to do with you. Regardless, the police conduct investigations to determine whether they have probable cause to arrest. In this case, if there is no evidence, unless the evidence is completely fabricated, they won't arrest you. What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

That is it

Ok great. I think you'll be okay.

Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!