Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My tenant who black lives next door to me was arrested on…

Customer Question
My tenant who black...

My tenant who black lives next door to me was arrested on false claims, was mistreated at the jail (abused) he's disabled had a double stroke in July 2016, where's a patch on his eye and has a cane because he has lost his balance, he's a veteran, and a pastor. I bailed him out because he would never have survived in the jail, and 6 weeks later after I helped the prosecutor and his legal aid put his case together the charges were dropped. We need a attorney who will clear his name from the arrest and they said we needed to hire an attorney for that, and also for the false arrest and abuse. Can someone help I have been trying for 2 months to get him someone. We know he has a righteous lawsuit, and I have been told that they will settle because they don't want it in the paper. I would appreciate if someone could contact me at(###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: What was your tenant charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?

It was grand theft -stolen property - 20,000 or more. There were three false charges totaling over $50,000. The State of Florida never took the case to trial because I was able to prove he did not commit the crime in charge. So on November 9th, 2017 the charges were dropped and we have a paper that says evidence legally insufficient to prove guilt, Nolle Prosequi, Assistant Brain Michael Toti.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a FL lawyer about this yet?

No. Everyone wants money which he does not have. He is disabled and gets only Social Security. He has no medical, he is raising two grandson's and I put his wife to work for me because they needed food, and Utility money. I have done all I can do I need help from an attorney for him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. He will have to tell his abuse from the jail, which were blessed he did not stroke again because he had a high blood pressure in which they had his medication and didn't give it to him, and that he fell twice and they didn't help him. He went with out food or water for 9 hours and he's also has diabetes. Thank you sorry but I'm so upset

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

I am afraid we cannot represent anyone from this site, we can only answer customer questions that they may have about their situations.

The public defender should be able to file the petition for expungement of the charges from his record for him or you can assist him for him to file them himself. Here is the expungement package for FL with instructions: http://www.sao17.state.fl.us/assets/petition-expunge-packet---jan-2017.pdf

As far as pursuing claims for abuse, he would need a local civil rights attorney and he can get one of those at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.superlawyers.com. Civil rights attorneys generally take cases with no fees up front and will take a percentage of what they win for him. The prison facility is supposed to provide basic medical care for inmates pursuant to the 8th Amendment of the US Constitution, so if they failed to provide that care for him, they have violated his civil rights.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer