Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was a victim in a criminal case in kern county and there…

Customer Question
I was a victim...

I was a victim in a criminal case in kern county and there was 2 kidnapping charges and false imprisonment with battery and child endangerment all charges were felonies. I had fallowed through with everything on my end that the DA wanted. But after the case dragged on for 6 months as my ex sat in jail they dropped kidnapping charges first then right before trial they dismissed the whole case and called me the day of, saying he was to be let out of jail that day, Saying that they cannot convict somebody on a he said she said case. In the next county over he has history of domestic violence and a child endangerment charge with his previous family, that he currently is on probation for, which was a surprise to find out that they never spoke to his probation officer. My question is who do I call to explain that the case needs to be reevaluated because seriously im scared for mine and my 1 year olds life because this dangerous person is back on the street.

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?

Do u mean previously?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

California

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
I am terribly sorry to hear this. That must be emotionally draining to think justice would be done and then find out to the contrary.One can contact the prosecutor assigned to the case by phone or letter and ask that they reconsider. That may make a difference.If they feel they do not have enough evidence for a conviction they will often drop the charges.If the charges are dropped one may still seek a restraining order and that may help. One moment please.
Information on this including links to forms to fill out are herehttp://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-domesticviolence.htmMost counties have a facilitator that will assist you with the documents.Further questions please post here otherwise kindly rate positively. Thank you.
Is it a good idea to get a Hold of the director of public prosecution in kern county?
The prosecutor assigned to the case is typically given discretion bit if they decline then one can work their way up. Sometimes elected officials will pressure the prosection as well.
Who is above the DA. How can I get them to reopen the case?
The DA is elected and is his or her own boss in that regard. There is no one above. You can present any information you may have that would convince them there is enough evidence to pursue.Further questions please post here otherwise kindly rate positively. Thank you!

Hello Again;

If you have any questions on the above please post by this evening so I can respond tomorrow morning; otherise I will be out of the office for a few days; of course upon my return you can also follow up then.

Enjoy your holidays, and thank you!

If no further questions kindly rate positively but if questions remain, ask away!