Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a question about theft. NC. Well I stole around 750…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about theft

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well I stole around 750 dollars. I faults returner items and the rang up a prepaid gift card. Loss prevention came in and I confessed and then they let me go home idk what to do now. They didn't fire me or anything

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/21/2017
Criminal Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear you are having to deal with this.
Can you tell me if they indicated they would press charges?

They said that they had to tell their boss and it was likely that he would
They said that had no idea what would happen next

Then in that case I would strongly urge you to hire an attorney. It is possible that the attorney can negotiate "restitution" for the employer. That normally involves repayment for unrecovered stolen goods but it may also include hourly wages for employees that had to spend time on the theft issue.

That may help dissuade the employer from pressing charges.

If they do press charges, the attorney will be available and may be able to get the charges dismissed or reduced. Theft with a value less than $1,000 is governed by 15A-1340.23 and the judge may award a maximum of 45 days in jail as it is a Class 1 misdemeanor. The attorney can help present mitigating circumstances to help avoid the maximum sentence.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

But what am I waiting for? They didn't really give me any information, if they press charges is someone going to come bust my door down or what?should I call and quit my job??? Would that help???
Quitting will not help. That will not have an effect. They are likely waiting for management to review and make a decision if they file a police report the police will likely call or visit for questioning. It is best to have a lawyer present for that so one does not self incriminate.

Hello Again;

If you have any questions on the above please post by this evening so I can respond tomorrow morning; otherise I will be out of the office for a few days; of course upon my return you can also follow up then.

Enjoy your holidays, and thank you!

If no further questions kindly rate positively but if questions remain, ask away!