Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have been caught up in a prescription fraud ring, its

Customer Question
federal, they took my u.s...
I have been caught up in a prescription fraud ring, its federal, they took my u.s. passport and I have to randomly come in to pretrial, I already plead guilty and awaiting sentencing. They have to wait for all of the people charged to be ready. I feel like my life is being wasted because I will probably go to jail and I don't really like the u.s. and never have. I want to leave the country forever. I want to get married and live amongst others like me that are of my culture. My question is, I have a expired Ukrainian passport, if I go to the Ukrainian consulate and get a return notice(for people with expired passports, it's good for 15 days and let's you board a plane) will they be able to see my situation in their computer? Do they run a background check? If I get that slip will I be apprehended at the airport while trying to board the plane? My plan is for no one to find out and look for me until I get to the destination. Thanks for any answers.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Take as much time as you need.
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Unfortunately yes, when your Ukranian passport is scanned, the open federal case should appear in the airport security database. Even though you wouldn't be using your US passport, the case should still appear under your name.

If caught attempting to flee the country prior to sentencing, you would be detained at the airport and it would not look very good when it comes time for your official sentencing.

Not only that, but you would also potentially be held in custody until sentencing, whenever that time arrives, because you would be deemed a "flight risk".

Of course, there's always the possibility that there'll be some type of glitch or oversight at the airport checks, however this is unlikely.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!